- Full Time (negotiable)
- Working from home
- Competitive salary depending on experience
What’s the opportunity?
Thanks to a year of record growth and some recent client wins, we are looking for an experienced technology PR professional to take the lead on our B2B client accounts.
This role is ideal for someone who is already an Account Director or a Senior Account Manager and is looking for a step up in their career.
Although Big Games Machine is focused on clients in and around the games industry, this role doesn’t require people to be huge gamers (but it doesn’t hurt!). Still, it does need someone organised and comfortable with managing a diverse range of tech clients focused on the global games industry.
The candidate needs to super-organised, a natural self-starter, have excellent client handling skills, and above all, a passion for coming up with creative story ideas and PR pitches. The ideal candidate will work across several B2B clients alongside the agency directors on day-to-day account work, managing the B2B team under you.
Due to the pandemic, we closed the Big Games Machine office in 2020, moving to a virtual agency model with everyone working remotely, offset with regular meet-ups.
We are looking for a dynamic, passionate senior PR professional with proven B2B tech experience.
You’ll be well versed in delivering every aspect of PR campaigns and have excellent client handling skills. You will work directly with John and James, the founders of Big Games Machine, and our other account managers and account executives.
You’ll be given autonomy and responsibility from day one. You will need to be a strategic thinker, confident writer, be brimming with ideas, demonstrate an ability to manage numerous tasks concurrently and show attention to detail. You’ll be able to analyse our clients’ businesses and offer high-level consultancy easily and confidently. Above all, you will be able to manage a diverse team workload and ensure work is delivered on time and to a high standard.
The position is based remotely, meaning you’ll be required to work from home most of the time.
What we are looking for in the ideal candidate
- Plenty of agency experience working with B2B tech clients – an experience of working with games companies and/or the games industry a bonus
- Proven track record in implementing PR strategies across print, online and social
- Great client-handling and interpersonal skills
- A demonstrable understanding of SEO and how to use it in a PR & marketing context
- Proven experience in overseeing strategic planning and production of client content (ebooks, webinars, podcasts, videos, white papers).
- Superb written and verbal communication skills (excellent writing skills are essential)
- The ability to effectively manage upwards, prioritise and delegate where necessary
- A creative and fun streak
- Straight talking, consultative and honest – we’re a BS-free zone with our clients
- Tenacity, perseverance and a start-up mindset
- Proficient with common software tools such as Google apps for business, PPT, Keynote, etc
- An understanding/awareness of marketing automation software and content-led marketing more generally
About Big Games Machine
The agency recently underwent a repositioning in June 2021, bringing together our Big Games Machine and Big Ideas Machine identities to become Big Games Machine. We are focused on building a single brand that offers both B2B and consumer capabilities to clients for the global games industry.
Whereas most games PR agencies are consumer-focused, we’re unique in that we can offer both sides; something which is very valuable to many clients that otherwise would have to hire two agencies. Most of all, we’re a bunch of passionate lifelong gamers that live and breathe everything in games.
We’re all about creating buzz and getting our clients games noticed by media and influencers globally for consumer campaigns. Our experience covers PC, mobile, console, VR and blockchain and a whole multitude of genres. Our B2B work centres around creating quality content designed to drive inbound interest; we are not an agency that thinks sending out dry press releases is the way to get results.
Games is one of the biggest forms of entertainment, worth more than Hollywood movies and the music industry combined. As the industry grows, so too does the opportunity for B2B tech companies to sell their products and services to games companies. We believe we are one of the few agencies in Europe to be positioned to help such companies, giving us a great opportunity to grow and win more business.
The agency was founded in 2014 by James Kaye and John Ozimek. Both James and John each have over 20 years of experience in PR and marketing in the tech and games industries and have worked with several big global brands in their careers.
Big Games Machine has experienced record growth during the pandemic and currently sits at nine people (with more to come!) We work with a diverse range of clients spanning consumer and B2B, from mega publishers to plucky start-ups.
The agency was runner-up as the best boutique games PR agency in the UK by MCV in 2018 and 2019, we won the European Sabre award for the best B2B media relations campaign in 2018 and are now finalists again in the 2021 Sabre awards.
Why do people like working at Big Games Machine?
It’s about people
As a small and young agency, we rely on an approach that is totally collaborative and built around trust, transparency and quality. We are motivated by doing interesting, fun work and learning something new every day. We don’t expect or encourage long hours and offer flexible working to everyone on the team. We aim to create a diverse, supportive and creative environment focusing on delivering work we are all proud of.
The work is challenging
We have quite a diverse range of clients – anything from blockchain and AI to advertising and Virtual Reality games. Because many of our clients are start-ups, we are often involved in a lot more than just media-facing PR. One minute we could be working on a global console launch, and the next minute we could be writing an 800-word byline on ‘crunch’ or some other issue on behalf of a client.
We want our staff to develop and progress
It’s important that everyone at Big Games Machine develops a much broader set of skills than the typical PR agency worker. So, in addition to core PR skills, we do a lot of hands-on learning to develop knowledge of SEO, digital marketing, web analytics and design and publishing tools. We also fund external training courses too. This approach helps your work at BIM and (as if you’d ever want to leave!) beyond.
What we offer
- An Apple MacBook Air
- Annual bonus (at the discretion of the Directors and based on overall company performance)
- 20 days holiday – plus the period between Christmas Eve and the 2nd Jan, when the office is closed (so typically 24 days per year)
- Childcare voucher scheme after completion of the probationary period
- Commission paid for the introduction of new staff and clients to the company
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Company contributions to a personal pension scheme
- Individual training plan set up on induction and encouragement to attend both internal and external training courses
If you think that you’ve got what it takes then, please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com