Full Time (negotiable)
Working from home (UK residents only)
£30-40,000 depending on experience
What’s the opportunity?
Thanks to a year of record growth and recent client wins, we’re now looking to recruit a second in-house copywriter to help us create excellent content for our clients and the agency.
The ideal candidate will have experience writing B2B copy for tech and/or video game companies. While it’s not a requirement for the role, previous experience working in-house or externally with PR/marketing agencies is a bonus, especially if this involved copywriting, PR and/or communications work.
This role is ideal for anyone that currently spends a lot of their time generating content ideas or drafting copy for B2B companies, ideally around technologically complex subjects. Our clients are a diverse bunch, ranging from video game studios and licensing experts to mobile game companies and blockchain wizards.
This would be the perfect job for anyone passionate about video games who spends a lot of their time writing content for B2B audiences. If you’re currently working as a video game or tech journalist, this job is ideally suited to you.
Candidates must be able to create excellent copy across various content – white papers, ebooks, bylines, long-form blog posts, feature articles, press releases, social media posts, podcast scripts, video scripts – anything and everything! The work is primarily for clients, but we also have our agency content strategy that needs copywriting support.
The subject matter will be diverse, exciting and creative. Equally important is the ability to develop creative content ideas and story angles to position our clients as experts in their space.
Due to the pandemic, we closed the Big Games Machine office in 2020, moving to a virtual agency model with everyone working remotely – meaning this role is also remote, with some time spent in London as part of our planned regular meet-ups and staff days.
We are looking for a dynamic, passionate writer and content creator with proven B2B tech and even B2B games writing experience.
You’ll be well versed in writing high-quality copy across various subjects and content types. You will work directly with our current copywriter as well as Account Directors and agency owners John and James, the founders of Big Games Machine, and our other account managers and account executives.
You’ll be given autonomy and responsibility from day one. You will need to be a strategic thinker, confident writer, be brimming with ideas, demonstrate an ability to manage numerous tasks concurrently and show attention to detail.
You’ll be able to analyse our clients’ businesses and create copy in different forms to help establish them as thought leaders. Above all, you will be able to manage a diverse team workload and ensure work is delivered on time and to a high standard.
The position is based remotely, meaning you’ll be required to work from home most of the time.
Essential skills that are required for this role:
- Passionate about video games and how the industry operates (it goes without saying that you should love words, too!)
- Loads of experience drafting high-quality copy across a variety of formats
- The ability to simplify complex topics, making them understandable for more mainstream audiences
- Proven experience in being involved with the strategic planning and production of client content (ebooks, webinars, podcasts, videos, white papers)
- The ability to effectively manage upwards, prioritise and delegate where necessary
- A fun and creative streak
- Straight talking, consultative and honest – we’re a BS-free zone with our clients
- The ability to adapt your copy across a variety of TOV styles
- Tenacity, perseverance and a start-up mindset
- A demonstrable understanding of SEO and how to use it in a PR & marketing context
- Previous experience working within an agency environment for clients that operate in the video game industry OR working directly with video game companies
- Knowledge of video game and/or tech publications and experience drafting thought-leadership articles
About Big Games Machine
The agency recently underwent a repositioning in June 2021, bringing together our Big Games Machine and Big Ideas Machine identities to become Big Games Machine. We are focused on building a single brand offering B2B and consumer capabilities to clients in the global games industry.
Whereas most games PR agencies are consumer-focused, we’re unique in that we can offer both sides, which is very valuable to many clients who otherwise would have to hire two agencies. Most of all, we’re a bunch of passionate lifelong gamers that live and breathe everything in games.
For consumer campaigns, we’re all about creating buzz and getting our clients’ games noticed by media and influencers globally. Our experience covers PC, mobile, console, VR and blockchain and a multitude of genres. Our B2B work centres around creating quality content designed to drive inbound interest; we are not an agency that thinks sending out dry press releases is the way to get results.
Games is one of the biggest forms of entertainment, worth more than Hollywood movies and the music industry combined. As the industry grows, so does the opportunity for B2B tech companies to sell their products and services to games companies. We believe we are one of the few agencies in Europe to be positioned to help such companies, giving us an excellent opportunity to grow and win more business.
The agency was founded in 2014 by James Kaye and John Ozimek. Both James and John each have over 20 years of experience in PR and marketing in the tech and games industries and have worked with several big global brands in their careers.
Big Games Machine has experienced record growth during the pandemic and currently sits at nine people (with more to come!) We work with a diverse range of clients spanning consumer and B2B, from mega publishers to plucky start-ups.
The agency was runner-up as the best boutique games PR agency in the UK by MCV in 2018 and 2019. We won the European Sabre award for the best B2B media relations campaign in 2018 and are now finalists again in the 2021 Sabre awards.
Why do people like working at Big Games Machine?
1.It’s about people
As a small and young agency, we rely on a collaborative approach built around trust, transparency, and quality. We are motivated by doing interesting, fun work and learning something new daily. We don’t expect or encourage long hours and offer flexible working to everyone on the team. We aim to create a diverse, supportive and creative environment focusing on delivering work we are all proud of.
2. The work is challenging
We have a pretty diverse range of clients – anything from blockchain and AI to advertising and Virtual Reality games. Because many of our clients are start-ups, we are often involved in much more than just media-facing PR. One minute we could be working on a global console launch, and the next minute we could be writing an 800-word byline on ‘crunch’ or some other issue on behalf of a client.
3. We want our staff to develop and progress
Everyone at Big Games Machine must develop a much broader set of skills than the typical PR agency worker. So, in addition to core PR skills, we do a lot of hands-on learning to develop knowledge of SEO, digital marketing, web analytics and design and publishing tools. We also fund external training courses too. This approach helps your work at BIM and (as if you’d ever want to leave!) beyond.
Big Games Machine is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, or other non-merit factors
What we offer
- Salary depending on experience
- Apple MacBook Air
- Twenty days holiday (this doesn’t include the days between Christmas Eve lunchtime and the first working day back after Jan 1, when the office is closed – meaning the total holiday allowance is approximately 24 days)
- A generous home office allowance to make sure you’ve got all you need, including high-end noise-cancelling headphones, a high-quality office chair, extra monitors and more
- A monthly wellbeing allowance that staff can put towards anything they feel will improve their work/life balance could be anything from a local workspace subscription to weekly yoga sessions!
- Health cashback plan
- Early-finish Fridays at 3 pm in Summer from May to September.
- Flexibility on working hours; our official hours are 9 am-6 pm, but we really trust our workers, so these don’t have to be set times every day
- Childcare voucher scheme after completion of the probationary period
- Commission paid for the introduction of new staff and clients to the company
- Performance appraisals every six months
- Company contribution to a personal pension scheme (optional)
- Inclusion in quarterly training sessions with external trainers – plus the ability to go on additional training courses as required by your individual needs
Here’s more about us
Interested? Please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE: This position is only open to UK residents.