Icelandic Developer 1939 Games approached us to help with the global launch of their WWII collectable card game Kards onto Steam Early Access in early 2019.
Created by the senior team behind Eve Online, CCP Games, Kards aimed to disrupt the CCG genre by adding novel game mechanics such as a ‘frontline’ as well as adding genuine authenticity to the various units in the game.
Ahead of the Steam launch, our remit was to arrange interviews with the team at GDC 2019 as well as secure as much coverage as possible for the Early Access launch soon after. We were also asked to generate some B2B news around some funding that 1939 Games had secured.
What we did
Secured interviews at GDC 2019 and undertook the global launch of the game on Steam Early Access
KARDS Media Kit
To help engage with the media, we proposed to 1939 Games that we create an impactful media kit full of KRDS branded items. Here’s what we produced to use with media as fan-giveaways in the community:
- KARDS branded shoulder bag
- Military-style water bottle with the KARDS logo embroidered on the front
- Airfix Churchill tank model with bespoke KARDS branded packaging
- B-17 Flying Fortress metal model kit in KARDS branded packaging
- Replica WWII ‘Airborne Cricket’ clicker with KARDS branded information tag
- KARDS physical card pack containing five cards & a ‘Join the Fight’ call to action card
Physical Card Packs
We also worked with 1939 Games to create a series of limited edition card packs to use as giveaways at shows as well as within the community.
- Produced four different packs, each consisting of a set of four cards to show the breadth of the units
- Each card was designed to look beaten and weathered, just like they do in the game
- We created a fifth ‘Join the Fight’ call to action card with a scannable QR code and a link to the website. The back of the card also gave an overview of the game and the different factions in it
- Each pack was sealed to create a sense of surprise when the recipient opened it, just like in a real CCG
Media Interviews at GDC 2019 & Early Access Launch
Ahead of GDC 2019 where 1939 Games planned to exhibit, we reached out to top tier media and influencers on the media list to secure coverage for the team for the forthcoming Early Access Launch as well as the news of their recent investment. We managed to secure interviews and coverage with a mix of B2B and consumer media including:
- PC Gamer
- Rock, Paper Shotgun
- PC Games Insider
- Common Sense Media
- Lewis and Turps – Yogscast