Other Ocean Group approached us to help them with the global launch of their eight-player, survival PC game, Project Winter onto consoles
Other Ocean Group approached us to assist them with the global launch of their eight-player survival game, Project Winter onto consoles. Initially released in 2019, Project Winter was already a popular PC title, but staggered release dates across Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo Switch consoles required a year-long campaign involving extensive planning and strategy development, global media outreach to both press and influencers, and a mix of reactive and proactive PR activity.
A thorough timeline of planned activity and carefully curated messaging targets were essential for securing and managing media and influencer coverage across the world. However, the length of the campaign also required us to be flexible enough so we could adjust plans in the event of a crowded release window or unexpected delays. The global launch was a success, managing to overcome the barriers caused by its longstanding presence on PC already, and brought in over 350 pieces of coverage including getting the game rated on Metacritic.
Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch
What we did
Co-ordinated a year-long global launch campaign that produced over 350 places of coverage.
What we did
- Roadmapped a year-long campaign with multiple phases covering the initial announcement, trailers, launch and DLC releases with regular calendar reminders
- Advised on timelines for release windows
- Drafted and distributed announcement and launch press releases for all platforms
- Built bespoke, global media lists for Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox publications/influencers
- Tiered media lists accordingly to ensure placement on Metacritic
- Distributed keys to a bespoke list of content creators/streamers with a specific interest in survival and strategy games
- Engaged with thousands of influencers, content creators and journalists and managed relationships across multiple timezones.
- Gained 380 pieces of coverage including specialist publications such as Nintendo Everything, and top general games media like IGN
- Generated 80 videos from Twitch and YouTube with over 100k combined views in earned influencer coverage
- Got the game certified on Metacritic through targeting and using contacts at Metacritic certified sites to get the 4+ reviews needed to be awarded a score